General Import Format Template
The General Import Format Template (GIFT) is a simple text-only format for recording quiz data related to the Moodle content management system. Qedoc considered using GIFT format for exports and imports, but then switched to Moodle XML format instead. This article is primarily of incidental interest.
Advantages and disadvantages of GIFT
- The main advantages of GIFT are its simplicity and its text-only format, which means that it is reasonable to expect a human being to type GIFT formatted questions directly into any text editor. GIFT is therefore good for transferring data between the human mind and a software programme.
- GIFT is supported by Moodle (an well-known open source content management system).
- GIFT is not tagged (e.g. XML formatted), which makes it less suitable as a format for transferring data between different software programmes.
- GIFT only supports a limited range of question types (see below).
- GIFT does not support many optional properties. Feedback is supported, but little else.
Qedoc implementation of GIFT
From approximately version 1.5.0 it is proposed to add support for import and export of GIFT-formatted data to the Qedoc quiz software.
The GIFT specification that will be supported is given below.
- GIFT Multiple Choice Format
- GIFT Typed Response Format
- GIFT Pair Matching Format
- GIFT True/False Format
- GIFT Numerical Response Format