Obtaining a contributor ID
About contributor identification codes
The Qedoc Quiz Maker, as delivered, already is the full, usable version. It is cost-free. However in order to distribute modules, you need a contributor ID. It is advisable to obtain a contributor ID before you invest time in creating valuable educational content, because it can be impractical to apply a new ID to old content. Contributor ID's can be obtained free of charge - see the FAQ on our website for the latest details. Please note that the information below was only correct at the time it was written, and may have been superseded.
If you have never done anything about contributor ID's, you are an "anonymous user", which means that you may not and cannot distribute any modules you create. This is a practical limitation. ID codes are used for classifying modules in large online repositories.
It costs you nothing to become a "free user". A free user gets a free contributor ID from us, and in exchange promises to upload a copy of every module they create to our free online library of educational modules. The uploaded copies are released under a Creative Commons licence. You have to keep the promise, because the modules are locked from distribution until you really do upload them. Our purpose under this deal is philanthropic. There is more information below.
You can also become a "paid-up user". This involves paying money. You don't have to be a company or a commercial user for this. It's your choice whether you wish to pay. However benefits of paying include:
- Access to the secure level.
- Ability to distribute modules under your own terms (e.g. no obligation to give us a copy; define your own licences and prices).
- Ability to sell modules through us. You can sell them through other channels too, if you wish, but we offer a retail outlet as well. (For full details, please refer to our website or ask us).
- Ability to set passwords for students and authors. Choose between different access levels to prevent others using and/or editing your modules unless you choose to allow this.
- Copy protection is available to paid-up users at extra cost.
Managing contributor ID's
The contributor ID menu
Contributor ID's are managed from one menu in the software. It has the following functions:
- View current contributor ID: remind yourself what you have. If the software suddenly doesn't allow you to do certain things any more, you should check this in case you corrupted your contributor ID. Contact us if you find your contributor ID has vanished.
- About contributor ID's: explains things.
- Request free contributor ID: opens up a browser window which loads the form from our site where you can request a registration key. This makes it extremely easy for you to become a free user.
- Purchase commercial contributor ID: this is where you become a paid-up user. It also launches a browser window with the relevant form from our website. You don't have to "be" commercial to choose this option. "Commercial" just means you have decided to pay.
- Collect contributor ID: when you request or buy a key, you will receive a pick-up code from us. You then activate this menu option and a dialogue box appears.
Collecting a contributor ID
The pick-up code should be typed into this box. The rest is automatic. Just ensure that you are connected to the web while you do this. Remember that certain firewall settings may obstruct collection of your ID. See also: I can't collect my contributor ID.
Problems with firewalls
If you encounter problems with firewalls, please take the following steps.
- If your firewall restricts and grants web access to specific programmes, you must grant the Qedoc Quiz Maker web access rights. This should overcome almost all firewall problems. If you need help with this, please turn to your firewall manufacturer.
- You may want to try disabling your firewall during the pickup process, but you do this at your own risk.
Using this software with a free contributor ID
The authoritative information is online at http://www.qedoc.com/freekeyfaq.php and we reserve the right to modify that information. Some of the more important points are included below.
The terms of free use deal are basically simple:
- We allow you to use the Qedoc Quiz Maker free of charge.
- You help us build up an online library of free modules which anyone else can use or modify. This includes full and free access to potential learners as well as authors.
- The fine print. You are actually required to release your modules through us under a Creative Commons licence. Creative Commons is a non-profit entity which is entirely independent of us. They specialise in creating licences which help small creative users licence their software in ways which help build communities of sharers while not losing fundamental copyright in their work and maintaining a certain control over how others might exploit the work.