Release date: 13th August 2007.
Version 1.6.0 is a major release which foreshadows (and includes) some of the changes planned for version 2.0. It will probably be the last major release before version 2.0, tentatively scheduled for release in October 2007. The new release offers the largest introduction of new question types since the original release in March 2006. At the same time, many other question types have been enhanced. The gapfill questions have undergone a set of wide-ranging expansions and enhancements. The new release also contributes substantially to a range of ongoing enhancements to the Qedoc software: under internationalisation, the new release sees the addition of a German language pack and an upgrade to the French language pack; deployment sees improvements to printing, email submission, import and export formats, including exportability to MediaWiki's quiz extension; the help system is undergoing major conceptual changes; there is also substantial progress towards fully implemented context-sensitive automatic resizing of images.
New question types
Version 1.6.0 includes support for 16 new drag-and-drop question types, building on 4 initial drag-and-drop question types in version 1.4. Drag-and-drop is now integrated (or hybridized) with many other standard question types, such as multiple choice, gapfills and pair-matching. Drag-and-drop questions include the ability to drag-and-drop media items such as images and audio-clips.
With the addition of drag-and-drop, a number of other fundamental ideas have entered into Qedoc question design and then migrated to other question types. These include the idea of colour-coding of responses (when marked) and of disallowing incorrect responses (uses various interface mechanisms).
Upgraded question types
- List-reordering question types now support images and audio clips
- Anagrams: numerous cosmetic changes to the interface; additional options
- Hangman: numerous cosmetic changes to the interface
- Text fields: cosmetic changes to the interface
- Gapfills: gapfills were very substantially enhanced in this version.
- Improved lengths of text fields
- Improved line wrapping on most types (other than the original type)
- Underscores in text fields now adjust to font size; underscore text fields considerably improved in appearance.
- Filtered text gapfill now supports phrases
- Appearance of normal text fields (i.e. without underscores) improved
- Filtered multiple choice gapfill reverts to random multiple choice gapfill if there is any error
- Can now use colour coding to mark correct/incorrect responses
- HTML tags activated in text segments
- Redesigned editor panels for all random and filtered gapfill types
- Filtered and random types now have optional "progressive" correction ("refuse incorrect")
- Non-words (i.e. letter sequences and phrases) can now be set as gaps with filtered gapfills
- Optimized layout of labels and textfields for when gaps are inside a word
- The <br> tag is now an alternative to §
- Programming added to filtered gapfills to prevent smaller words which form part of larger filtered word from interfering with filtering of the larger words
- Filtered drag-and-drop gapfills are now case-sensitive
- Media no longer starts automatically when a question is viewed; the learner must prompt the start.
- Compact media playback interface added for pair matching and gapfills (lacks progress bar).
- Images in multiple choice and gapill combo and list controls limited to 32 pixels in height (automatic resizing).
- Images in other multiple choice tasks limited to 150 x 100 pixels (automatic resizing).
- Images in most drag-and-drop interfaces limited to 150 x 100 pixels (automatic resizing).
Qedoc Quiz Maker interface
- Module library: ALT/SHIFT/CTRL clicks can now open modules, as well as double-click.
- Task wizard now filters drag-and-drop tasks instead of mouse-driven tasks.
- A split pane has been added to main interface of the Qedoc Quiz Maker, allowing the contributor to resize the panes.
- Upgraded French translation
- Added German translation
- Added Indonesian translation (18.104.22.168)
The help system is undergoing major changes, a lot of which were introduced in this version. Rather than packaging a monolithic set of documentation with the Qedoc Quiz Maker, the documentation is being moved in two directions.
- Firstly, some documentation and help is being moved to the controls themselves. Many controls now have tiny help icons which provide help both on mouse-move and mouse-click. Users are provided with help precisely at the point of need, without having to search through large blocks of documentation first.
- Secondly, documentation is being moved to this site, where it can be constantly updated and improved.
Both changes include substantial extensions and improvements to the help system, and ensure that the help system will be able to evolve more in line with the software itself and with users' needs and questions.
Specific changes include:
- Context-sensitive control-specific help pop-ups have been widely implemented.
- The media bank help button now displays an icon key like the question bank.
- The control-specific help buttons now also have a tooltip with the same content as the pop-up dialogue.
- The help tab for browsing the packaged has been removed, along with the packaged help system.
- The editor panel main help button now advises on using the small help icons.
Import, export and deployment
- Printing and email submissions: HTML tags now stripped
- Email submission: questions and answers should now be UTF-safe
- Implemented Mediawiki / Wikiversity export
- Import facility for Hot Potatoes added
- Mac-compatiblity of the web launch version has been improved
Player management in the Qedoc Quiz Player
- A user with a password can only be deleted if the password is entered.
- A check now run on the selected player before editing is allowed.
- An incorrect password now clears all selections on the player list.
- Assessment options: added option for hiding the ?-button (until marked) as some users may accidentally use this button
- Assessment options: added option for hiding the abandon button
- Welcome display: if organisation string is "-1" it should not display
- The sun attempts icon had lost its special cloud state (for disabled); now corrected
- It is possible to modify the fonts used to display the menu of quizzes