Release date: 4th January, 2009
Version 2.5 includes an additional and entirely new flashcard learning system which complements the previous quiz-approached system. When activities are defined as a flashcard type, the programme tracks learning progress and recycles material in configurable patterns which mimic flashcard-based learning. Flashcards themselves can be based on about 100 question types. Flashcard content is based on a simple database-like system - one can create tables of learning data in a word processor and import this into a Qedoc module in a single click.
Overall the new release adds an entirely new way of learning to Qedoc.
Added here: flashcard activities.
- Released 7th-10th January 2009.
- Has vastly accelerated media unpackaging (Player) and better media statistics keeping (Maker).
- Released 23rd January 2009 (web version of Player only).
- Bugfix for flashcard multiple choice distractor selection.
- Flashcard icons now appear on the web version of the Player as well.
- Released 25th January 2009.
- Global category setting default changed to allow faster operation; no longer possible to accidentally set an empty string as a category name.
- Flashcard deck display now shows selection probability.
- Tweaks and additions to the strength of error recycling in flashcard activities.
- Question bank reordering bug (selected item fails to reorder) fixed.
- Quiz Maker now adapts to some rare data corruption cases with Portuguese modules.
- Released 28th January 2009 (web version of Player only)
- In the Quiz Player, activity progress icons now default to more compact displays if there are too many questions to comfortably display progress using the selected icon set.
- Minor fix to flashcard generation - affected flashcard sets where the number of templates is exactly equal to the desired deck size.
- Missing progress icons added into release package.
- Released 2nd February.
- The search-and-replace function on the question bank (Quiz Maker) can optionally accept regular expressions (replace only). This substantially increases the power available to advanced users for automated edits to large numbers of questions. For example, expressions such as "/A" and "/z" can be used to insert headers and footers into all questions.
- Multiple choice tasks (with the exception of drag-and-drop questions) can now have triple column and triple row layouts. This is good for quiz design where a large number of options are displayed.
- Metadata and classification: option for preschool education included; detailed clarifications of "primary", "secondary" and "post-secondary" education added based on OECD definitions at http://stats.oecd.org/glossary/index.htm . The metadata files additionally include: information about embedded media; information about any password restrictions (if any); sample questions from the module.
- Short answer question types have had a Levenshtein-distance-based option added to the correction algorithm. This has been implemented as a simple way to allow limited spelling mistakes. Rather than a slightly mispelled answer being awarded a draconian zero points, a proportion of the points are awarded based on the quality of the spelling. This option is inactive by default.
- Release: Web Player - 5th February; desktop versions - 9th February.
- Simplification of publication dialogues in Quiz Maker.
- Media bank allows editing of multiple permissions fields - speeds things up when you've forgotten to enter the correct permissions for each image.
- Bugfix to activity unlocking conditions (Quiz Player).
- New "copyright acknowledgement" feature for all individual tasks, better enabling an author to enter acknowledgements to quoted sources and claim fair use on short extracts from texts. In particular, this addresses a problem with random gapfill exercises, where it was not possible to footnote a passage with its source without the source also having some gaps inserted as part of the exercise. The new feature also adds an advice section on the use of quotes and extracts in educational materials.
- Bugfix so that media occurring in presentation pages are also counted in the media bank uses column (Quiz Maker).
- Added 5 new background images and themes to the 10 already available. See background images for more information. See below for thumbnails of the images added.
- Release: 12th February (web version of Player only)
- Flashcard memory leak fixed. The memory leak meant that longer flashcard quizzes progressively slowed down, depending on system capacity. This has been completely fixed, so that even exceptionally long flashcard quizzes will run in a lively manner with no deterioration of performance at all.
- Release: 23rd February 2009 (web version of Quiz Player only)
- The activity menu (Quiz Player) now lays out multiple columns of activities in a more intuitive manner, listing activities vertically first if the number of columns is less than the number of rows.
- A bug has been fixed in the Quiz Player: array indexing problem with "unidist" data table variable which could lead to blank buttons with small tables and large numbers of choices.
- Fix to bug introduced in version 2.5.6 which prevented the first activity being displayed in the results list.
- See Version 2.6.0